Thursday, November 19, 2009

What we covered today / what comes next

Today, what I basically derived was the Drude model of conductivity (or from an alternate viewpoint, the complex dielectric function). Griffiths covers essentially the same material in Ch. 9, treating the problem from a dielectric-centric viewpoint. The Feynman Lectures (vol II) also does a great job of covering the same material, in much the same way that we started today (i.e., from harmonically-oscillating charges). I would suggest reading Feynman, then Griffiths if you are curious. Follow that with Jackson Ch. 7 (link below) if you're really excited.

Here are a couple links you might find useful, if you are interested in going through what we did today a less brutal pace:
Anyway: now we know why metals are shiny, and insulators are mostly transparent.

This brings up a question: we have one more recitation (Fri) which will be devoted to the RFID project, and one more lecture (Mon). What do you want to hear for your last lecture in PH126?

Anything you want, within reason and physics-related (if tangentially), I'll do my best. Leave your suggestions in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. I think a lecture covering a little bit of biophysics would be pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Kyle's vote for biophysics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be very interested in hearing a discussion on sonoluminescence, but I'm not at all opposed to hearing a biophysics-related lecture.

    ReplyDelete