Monday, August 24, 2009

Math stuff so far

So ... after 'rebooting' a bit on the math background today, how are things looking? Of the things we covered today, are there topics that still seem very mysterious?

A good gauge is probably to look at the first four homework problems. If you basically know how to do them, but they seem tedious, things are OK. If you aren't sure how to even start one or more of them, we might need to review a bit more. I'll work out some of the first homework problems in detail on Wednesday's class (but not quite all the way, since they are due at the end of the day).

Unless you have specific requests/thoughts, I planned to move on to 'vector derivatives' on Wednesday, but not yet get in to line integrals and so on. Div, Grad, Curl and so forth, continuing a bit more carefully until we have that down.

Drop a comment to let me know what you think.

(Also: please stop me in the lectures if things start to seem mysterious to you. Often, you are not alone if you feel this way, and often, it is because I skipped something I shouldn't have. You're doing everyone a favor if you ask me to clarify something, rather than letting it go.)

No comments:

Post a Comment